Shareware in a sentence | shareware example sentences
- Shareware gaming first appeared in the late 1980s, but its big successes came in the 1990s.
- Since the shareware versions were essentially free, the cost only needed to cover the disk and minimal packaging.
- Shareware was also the distribution method of choice of early modern first-person shooters (FPS) like Wolfenstein 3D and Doom.
- In the early 1990s, shareware distribution was a popular method of publishing games for smaller developers, including then-fledgling companies such as Apogee (now 3D Realms), Epic Megagames (now Epic Games), and id Software.
- But what about those trial versions of Norton or McAfee, Microsoft Office and other preinstalled shareware programs? The fact is, you’d be better off uninstalling them (with the exception of MS Office) and replacing the ones you need with either free analogs or better quality paid versions.
- As the increasing size of games in the mid-90s made them impractical to fit on floppies, and retail publishers and developers began to earnestly mimic the practice, shareware games were replaced by shorter demos (often only one or two levels), distributed free on CDs with gaming magazines and over the Internet.